HL7 Fundamentals courses
Learn by Doing
The HL7 Fundamentals Courses are fundamentally different. These introductory, 12-week workshop (HL7 Fundamentals) and 4-week workshop (FHIR Fundamentals) uses a set of guided exercises to learn by practice and example.
This self-paced courses are ideal for those new to HL7 and its family of standards including Version 2 (V2), Clinical Document Architecture (CDA®) and Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR®). See the full brochure (pdf).
Who should attend:
- Newcomers to HL7 and those who wish to gain an overall technical experience of HL7 standards
At the end of the HL7 Fundamentals course, participants will be able to:
- Confront a project involving interoperability among disjointed healthcare information systems
- Read the most widely used HL7 standards
- Understand the need for controlled vocabularies, master files and entity registries
- Read and write V2.X messages
- Read and write CDA® R2 documents
- Identify FHIR® specifications and resources
- Decide when to use each artifact (messages, documents)
What to Expect
These are an asynchronous, instructor-led online courses that allows you to work at your own pace. Learning takes place through discussions with the instructor, tutors and peers. Assessments are in the form of weekly assignments, quizzes, exams and projects. Plan on spending 5 to 7 hours per week. There are no live lectures to attend.
You can expect:
- An instructor who will provide reading materials and assignments
- HL7-certified tutors helping you step-by-step
- Discussion forums that promote engagement and interaction
- Integration activities stewarded by the teaching team
- Self evaluation quizzes to test comprehension
How to Enroll
If registration for an upcoming course is open:
- Click on the Register button in the upper right side of the page
- Follow the instructions to register and pay for the course
Make sure to check if your organization is an HL7 member to receive the member discount.
If you have questions or experience difficulty registering for the course, please contact the Director of Education.